July 10, 2012

Finca de Vida – The Farm of Life – Health retreat – Vacation – Raw food - Healing Food - Costa Rica


Before I lay out the details of this amazing vacation spot I would like to give you the back-story of how The Farm of Life came into creation and how Finca de Vida and its proprietors came into my life.

I am just now returning from my third life changing stay at Finca De Vida and it has been, by far, the best one yet.   Coming back each year and seeing how the Farm has grown has been an amazing experience in itself.  Since I first visited, new structures and amenities have been added, new healing modalities have been incorporated, and the now matured farm has begun to produce more varieties of fresh, delicious fruits and vegetables.  It has grown into a thriving health food, healing center, and nature retreat. 

Brian and Jody Calvi – Owners, Friends, Teachers, and Proprietors of Finca De Vida

Brian and Jody are extremely good friends of mine and I consider them family.  Their Stories are amazing and it is part of how we met originally and how we reconnected and became friends several years later.

Brian and Jody both healed chronic disease (fibromyalgia and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) and recovered completely by changing their dietary habits, reconnecting with the earth, and adopting and living a lifestyle that encompasses real nutrition (healthy food, water, air, movement, relationships, etc.) that allowed them to heal and regain their health.  They are now vibrantly healthy and have dedicated themselves to educating anyone struggling with heal issues how to do the same.  

My Story - The Short Version

When I was a freshman in high school I became very sick. I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and my parents were told I had 3-6 months to live unless I started chemotherapy immediately.  Unaware of natural healing methods, and having no other options at that time, I was thrown into conventional treatment.  In the attempt to poison cancer cells out of the body, chemotherapy is administered intravenously; but, it has side effects that are often not even worth the treatment.   

As most of you may already know, chemotherapy makes you very sick and severely compromises the immune system.  This made school difficult to say the least.  I probably missed a month of school simply because I was in the hospital having tests done.  During treatment I missed at least one day a week plus any days where I was too sick from the drugs to even get out of bed.  My teachers were very sympathetic and helpful overall. My Spanish teacher and Honors Biology teacher actually came to my house to tutor me and help me with science experiments and homework. My parents and I were very grateful for this.  I worked hard to get my work done, but sometimes I was just too tired.

Funny enough, Brain Calvi (aka Coach Calvi) at the time, was my Political Science teacher that semester freshman year of high school.  He was just returning to health through his own healing journey and recovering from fibromyalgia.  Most people do not know true loss until they lose their health.  Some of the most successful people in the world have said on their death beds that they would give up all their money to have their health back.  The bottom line, if you lose your health, you lose everything. Brian, having been sick himself, understood my situation and was by far one of the most loving, empathetic, and supportive teachers I had.   Sadly, he couldn’t say much to me at the time (legally).  He told me to eat more fruits and vegetables and to reduce my stress (no one can argue against that!).  He told me to forget about my homework and to sleep and get well.  He even made an attempt to talk to my mom about my diet and other aspects of healing, putting him in a position to get fired.  He took a leadership role over the other teachers and played a huge role in me getting through school that year.  My mother remembers him standing up in a faculty meeting regarding my health issues and passionately stating, “We have to do everything we can to get this kid well”.  For this I was extremely grateful, because I remembered what he said. 

During that time I was working with a very well educated and passionate chiropractor, Dr. Heath Motley, who was giving me the specifics that “Coach Calvi” legally and professionally could not.  This chiropractor educated me on nutrition and overall health, and set the stage for my future interest (obsession really) with nutrition, health and wellness, exercise, and physiology.  I studied nutrition other aspects of health for many years as a hobby in attempt to rehabilitate myself and regain the stamina and vitality I lost during chemotherapy.  During my sophomore year of college, after several career considerations and changes or adjustments to my “major,” I decided I wanted to go into healthcare and help people like me, who were sick, lost, and searching for answers and hope. 

Many random thoughts arose during this new journey of mine.   One day, while chatting with an old high school friend, Brian came up in conversation.  I thought, “What the heck.”  Everyone is on Facebook now,”… so I decided to randomly search for him on Facebook simply to thank him for his love, support, and wisdom as a teacher.   I emailed him explaining who I was, and thanked him for his kindness and for being an awesome teacher.  We eventually met up one day at a small café in Atlanta, Georgia, where we reconnected and became good friends.  The rest is history.   

Finca De Vida – The Farm of Life

This being my third trip to Finca De Vida (two personal trips and one as trip leader of a college ecotourism retreat) in itself should tell you how I feel about this place.  Brian and Jody are two of the most loving people I know.  You could easily exclude all local attractions, hang with them at the Farm, laugh your ass off, and have an amazing time.  Whether you are sick and wanting to get well or simply in search of a relaxing vacation retreat, Finca de Vida is definitely a place to look into. 

The Farm has several different room options all of which are listed on their website - Fincadevida.com. Prices vary based on the room you are staying in and the meal plan option you choose.   You can also choose to stay long or short term, and come for a simple vacation or for long term and intensive health coaching.  Brian and Jody will help accommodate you and match you with the best room for you and or your family or retreat group. 

There is an amazing variety of local attractions near the Farm including horseback riding, waterfalls, the Farm itself, permaculture, foraging and wild food tours, beaches, mountains, national parks, zip-lines, rock climbing and rappelling, white water rafting, kayaking, and much more. 

Only a few minutes’ drive/hike from the farm and you can visit some of the most beautiful waterfalls you will ever see including Diamante, Nauyaca, Peace falls, and some amazing waterfalls on the neighboring farm Joya del Sol. 

There are numerous beach options.  Manuel Antonio is a beautiful “touristy” beach (good for swimming and hanging out, no waves); Dominical is a surfing beach/town with large waves and choppy water (good for surfing, body surfing, etc.).    Also, if you prefer, there are several more secluded beaches. Some contain caves that you can explore during low tide.  

Note – If you are buying souvenirs always bring cash and shop around first, the stores are almost always more expensive than private street or beach vendors.  Cash is always better.  

Jody is a master tour planner and can help you set up any tour that you may want to go on. 

My current favorites include all of the waterfalls and Manuel Antonio national park.   The waterfalls are very close, beautiful, fun, low-cost, and each one provides a unique experience.   The Peace Falls are a new attraction; the tour is inexpensive, and has a natural waterslide through one of the waterfalls.  Manuel Antonio National Park has a beautiful beach as well as a nature trail where you can see various types of monkeys and other animals.  Zip-line tours are nearby as well, if that interests you. 

The Farm itself has several beautiful room options, “cool pools” built into the stream on the campus, a yoga platform with an amazing view, a spa with massage table, a beautiful kitchen and common area with bamboo furniture, an extensive library, hammocks, plenty of fresh food, and more.  The valley also has a wide array of talent including yoga instructors, massage therapists, salsa dance teachers, and more, that you can connect with through Finca de Vida.

Meal plans and food options

Meal plans can be purchased as part of the room fee, and meals can be ordered if a chef is on campus during your stay. You will typically let Brian and Jody know of your dietary preferences before arriving so they can prepare for your stay.  Finca de Vida can accommodate nearly every dietary need, whether your preference is raw or cooked food, paleo/pesco/ovo-vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan, or just plain old fresh, healthy food.  The food options are primarily vegetarian and are limited to fish, eggs and dairy, due to preference of most guests, availability, quality issues.  But if you really want a steak or chicken, it is easy enough to get at local restaurants.

The Farm has numerous edible and medicinal herbs, edible shrubs, tropical fruit trees, and a greenhouse loaded with fresh vegetables.

Note-Make sure to try the cranberry hibiscus and the katuk; I love that stuff!    

Transportation to and from the Farm

The drive from San Jose Airport to Finca de Vida is about 4 hours.  The trip is well worth it.  I usually fly into San Jose and travel directly to the Farm. Jody can help you determine the most cost effective option for your group.  There are many options depending on group size and budget.  The Musoc bus is actually very comfortable and only costs about 5 dollars each way (compared to a 170 dollar taxi ride). 

When leaving the country I usually book a room in San Jose to make catching my flight a lot less stressful.  Previously, I have stayed at the Hampton near the airport.

Currently, I recommend Margerita’s house, and will continue to use her Bed and Breakfast for all my future travels to Costa Rica.  (This trip was the first time I stayed at Margerhita’s).  She is super nice, she speaks English and Spanish, and has 9 rooms (great for large groups; most rooms sleep multiple people).  The food is included and the cook will cater to virtually any diet plan or preference. Margerita’s house is also extremely affordable; 25 dollars a night and includes food (compared to 100+ at the Hampton).  A taxi station is located across the street and for 4 dollars you can get to the airport in 5-10 minutes.

Margeritas Guest House Website - http://margaritaguesthouse.blogspot.com/

Want to host your own retreat?

Finca de Vida is a wonderful place to host retreats.  I actually brought a group of college students down two years ago for an ecotourism, hiking, and healthy living experience that went extremely well. Contact Jody to set up a retreat for your business, hiking club, etc., or whatever group you may be a part of.

Past retreats include Dr. Sam’s rawhabilitation.com (physical therapy, nutrition, total wellness), Nature Bound Club (eco-tourism, hiking), Yoga retreats, raw food retreats, other seminars and healthy living retreats, and typical vacation groups.

I will definitely be returning to Finca de Vida.  If you would like to know more about health coaching and extended stays with Finca de Vida, would like to host a retreat, or take a simple vacation, contact Brian and Jody and they can answer any questions you may have. 

Pura Vida!

Check out Fincadevida.com or Farmoflifecr.com for more information. 

U.S. Phone: 404.521.8152
Costa Rica Phone: 506.8893.7407
(From outside Costa Rica, dial 011 for international calls.)

Farm FB Page: Farm Of Life
Skype Contact: jodycalvi

Check out other reviews at TripAdvisor.com - HERE

1 comment:

Dr. Garry Gautier said...

If you are looking forward to cancer retreat centers, we are the best bet for you. We are one of the most renowned natural healing center costa rica as well as the USA. Visit our cancer retreat center today!

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for educational use only. All information is sourced from peer reviewed professional studies, professional works, and professional journals from the USA and around the world; However, no information on this site should replace the advice of a qualified, licensed, and competent health care professional. Always consult your doctor before beginning any wellness plan, exercise regimen, or making any dramatic dietary changes.